July 2, 2011

CHOCOLATE, anyone?

The day before Mother's Day, my in-laws came into town to take me out to dinner.  I live in a suburb just north of Salt Lake City, and Salt Lake is the home of the Hatch Family Chocolates store. Some of you may know this store from the show "Little Chocolatiers" on TLC.


My in-laws wanted to buy some chocolate at this store before heading to dinner.  I wasn't aware of the detour until we were basically at the store, so I didn't really have time to think about what I would do or say if I saw the famous chocolate makers.  I think part of me thought they wouldn't even be there.  Another part of me realized I wouldn't even know who they were unless someone told me as I had never watched their show or had been to their store at all.  The last part of me was tired because I had just gotten off work.

We walked into the store and much to my mother-in-laws delight, the store owners, Steve and Katie Hatch, were there.  He was doing computer/paperwork and she was walking all around the store doing "her thing."

As my in-laws browsed the store, my husband and I stayed in the back trying to keep up with our toddler who had discovered the water fountain.  We took turns trying to get her attention elsewhere, but it didn't work too well.  My lack of energy and her extreme excitement for new things clashed brilliantly.  Needless to say, I cleaned up a few puddles of water while I was waiting.

In between water spills, I couldn't help but notice how awesome the store computer was.  It was Mac.  I LOVE Macs, and this one was awesome.  

As I watched Steve, from a short distance, work away I wanted to ask him about his computer.  I guess I'm a nerd that way.  But I caught myself before saying anything too dumb.  I mean, here I was in a fun, popular store known for it's chocolate and I wanted to talk to the owner about his computer.  Lame!

I was proud of myself for not putting my foot into my mouth, but unfortunately my victory was short lived.  Yes, alas, Steve started talking to me.  He said I looked "thrilled" to be in the store.  I chuckled and told him I had just gotten off work and was pretty tired.  He asked me how long I had been at work. I told him and then felt even more stupid.  It had only been 6 hours (mind you, all on my feet and in a fast paced environment), which is probably seconds compared to how many hours as day he works.  Ya, I felt like a douche.  Big time.

We eventually left the store.  My in-laws with their celebrity sighting and chocolate, me with another embarrassing story to share.  

Ya, my name is Emily and I tried to get a "little person" to feel sorry for me...in a chocolate store no less!

Thoughts?

6 comments:

  1. Emily, you crack me up. Your job is pretty laborious, plus you have a busy toddler. I'm sure he understood and that you made much more of the conversation than he did. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're probably right, K-Lo. But, if I look at it that way, I don't have what I consider a funny, interesting post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 02, 2011

    What a shame you didn't ask him about his Mac; he'd probably have found it a refreshing change from chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm . . . Chocolate . . .

    And I would think that Mr. Steve would be happy to talk about something other than chocolate for once, but maybe that's just my perception.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just so STAR STRUCK that I hoped it didn't show...oh and I SAW THE CHOCOLATE SHOES! THE CHOCOLATE SHOES that they made on the show!Thanks for humoring us and going along with the chocolate shopping experience! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know my mom is like BFFs with Steve and Katie, right? She wrote an article about their shop a couple of years ago and we have been going ever since. She is in LOVE with their super-rich hot chocolate, and I admit to a fondness for their chocolate covered cinnamon bears, even if they are like $7 a piece. Anyway, Steve is cool. I'm sure he didn't care about your little faux pax. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a thought.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...