November 19, 2011

YES, I was THERE

On Thursday night, roughly around 11:00 PM, my sister in law and I strolled into one of the many theaters in Utah doing a midnight showing of The Twilight Saga:  Breaking Dawn - Part 1.  Thanks to reserved seating, we didn't feel the need to be there super early which was nice because sitting around for hours waiting to get a good seat for a movie is SOO early 21st century (think Lord of the Rings).

When the movie started, my hopes were high.  Obviously, the first Twilight movie was a bomb.  The second, New Moon was actually pretty good.  The third, Eclipse, was pretty good too.  In a nutshell, it seemed that as each movie progressed the better they got.  So, naturally, Breaking Dawn - Part 1 was going to follow tradition.

Um, ya, no.

I can basically sum up the movie in four phrases.

1.  Jacob was the best part of the show.  Taylor Lautner actually seemed to know how to act in this film.

2.  Bella wasn't as annoying which could be because she wasn't in every single scene like she was in the other films.  Or, maybe Kristen Stewart's acting skills improved too.

3.  Edward had really awesome hair.  But, as an actor I think Robert Pattinson still has a ways to go in terms of ever proving he was the best pick to play the part of Edward Cullen.

4.  And last, they did an AWESOME job at making Bella look horrible during her pregnancy.  It was completely believable that her "baby" was literally sucking the life out of her.  The make-up and visual effects in that respect were stunning.

As I sat and watched this movie, I laughed more than I expected.  I got bored, which was a huge surprise to me.  I about DIED of "what the..." during the werewolf scene.  Those of you who have seen the movie known what scene I'm talking about. And, I overall began to wonder what the heck I was doing there in the first place.

After all, I couldn't get through the entire book of Breaking Dawn.  What started out as a fun read with Twilight turned into just weirdness in Breaking Dawn.  So, perhaps the movie sucked because the filmmakers really didn't have much to work on.  In all honesty, a movie based on a book is only as good as the book, right?

If you're on the fence about seeing this movie, I'd skip it.  If you're seeing all of the films just because, don't go in with high expectations.

Who knows, maybe Breaking Dawn - Part 2 will be better, but considering it has the same director I'm not counting on it.

If you saw the movie, what did you think?

P.S. What the crap happened to the sparkles?  There were vampires and there was sunlight, but no sparkles!  Movie mistake or did the producers just want to overlook that tiny detail to make the movie, uh...better?


5 comments:

  1. I thought the books were entertaining, although I would not say they were wonderfully written. I thought Breaking Dawn was the best book of the four though.

    I don't know what werewolf scene you mean, and now I'm all curious! There was never a scene where I said, "What the..." Now I'm wondering if I missed something!

    I noticed the lack of sparkles too, but it didn't really bother me much. But I agree that Jacob was the best part of the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the part when all the wolves are "talking" to each other, when Jacob first leaves the pack. It just seemed super cheesey. I couldn't help but laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy...so much to say.
    I was at the midnight showing too. Tradition! I had lower than low expectations. I HATED the book so I knew I couldn't like the movie...but the other movies weren't that great. But it was much better than expected. I agree with you on how they made Bella look sick. That was creepy. The wolf part was AWESOME. I was dying too. Jasper got a few good laughs out of me too. I've always hated Robert Pattinson as Edward, but I LOVE love, love Taylor Lautner. For sure. I thought they did a pretty good job with the movie...excited for the next one! Oh...the best was how they were playing chess (black, white and red) on their honeymoon. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked it. I didn't like the other ones at all, but this one was entertaining to me. I didn't get bored, and was SO SO glad the sparkles were gone. That was one of the things that killed me with the others. I'm looking forward to the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually really liked it! I thought it was romantic (the wedding ceremony), and I really didn't get bored at all. i loved the books and have liked all the movies too (of course not as good as the books though).

    ReplyDelete

Leave a thought.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...